Wednesday, August 10, 2011

First Impressions...

It was a beautiful day, blue sky with fluffy white clouds and temperatures around 75*F when we landed in Guatemala yesterday morning. It looked promising that it would be a gorgeous day until, during our delicious lunch out, we were interrupted by a huge crackle of thunder and then it began. The storm rolled in from no where bringing hail the size of marbles with it. The receptionist in the lobby of our apart-hotel was scrambling to save her laptop from the rain that was pouring all over her desk due to the holes in the roof caused by the hail.

It was relieving to discover wireless internet in our studio-sized, mosquito filled, half thatched roofed apartment =)! It may be small and a little less than "nice", but it isn't the worst I've stayed in. After taking a below 50*F shower today our "near future" roommate shared with us exciting news that we were not intelligent enough to figure out how to use the hot water (she put it in a much nicer way =)). This new knowledge has bumped my ratings of this room up a few notches.

After the discouragement of hearing that Han Al American School lacked significantly in the technological tools we are used to having in the states, today brought anticipation and excitement as we started our first day or work. The resources that are available to use in textbook form is incredible. I spent most the afternoon logging and exploring through 30-40 resource books for only a few of my classes. I am still waiting for further textbooks to come my way for the rest of my assigned classes. It will be with great challenge that we teach our students with the far less than exhaustive list of tools available in our classrooms. Lights, student desks, and a whiteboard concludes the list of what our classrooms consist of. Yes, that means no computers, projectors, or tvs in the classroom. Sporadic Internet concerns me as I think about effectively utilizing my prep time at the school. I am eager to have this challenge and find creative ways to teach the students of Han Al the content of Algebra 2, pre-calculus, calculus, and physics.

Through the stress of being overwhelmed, God has shown himself present with the beauty that surrounds us, the encouraging words of acquaintances that have lived/traveled to Guate, and the anticipated attendance of a highly suggested american speaking church on Sunday. I appreciate all your prayers and concerns.

Heather B

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad your blog is up! Look forward to following it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, I loved your "first impressions" of Guate... and the fact that it took you guys a while to figure out the hot water :) (I know I would have done the same.) I am sure your creative juices will flow as you work with the little technology that you have. Will you have calculators for students to work with? Well, I hope training goes well for you... looking forward to talking with you and Jenny and hearing about your experience. Miss you and will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love and hugs to you and Jenny! You are both going to affect and inspire so many lives. I look forward to following your blog :) -janine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather this is so awesome! such a writer! hope you have enjoyed your weekend, and I am looking forward to hearing many great storeis! ...jen

    ReplyDelete